Farina is a type of milled wheat. It is a food rich in carbohydrates and it is also very rich in iron. This is great for people who suffer from anemia or those who are vegetarian and struggle to get certain foods in their diet.
Lots of people hear the word Farina and think that they have never heard of it. However, most people will have heard of it in some form. You may not know it as Farina, instead recognizing the alternative names.
Does Malt-O-Meal sound familiar? Or perhaps Cream of Wheat?
This milled wheat product is most commonly used as a breakfast food which is very similar to porridge or oatmeal. It is also often used in baking in products like bread and muffins.
What Is Farina?
Farina, the type of milled wheat, is very different from other things that are made of wheat. It is made from the germ and the endosperm of the wheat and is quite loose in its consistency.
It is not quite as loose and coarse as cornmeal, but it is much more so than something like white flour.
Farina is a very healthy part of a vegetarian or vegan diet, or for someone who is anemic because of the iron that is in it. Having a bowl of Farina for breakfast can give you up to half of your required iron intake!
What Is Malt-O-Meal?
Malt-O-Meal, if you didn’t already know, is a breakfast cereal that is made up of grains. It is wheat-based and is coarse in its texture. The sweet malt flavor gives it a nice taste. It is often served heated up to be eaten as a porridge.
Malt-O-Meal dates back to 1919 when John Campbell first introduced it to the world. He loved the idea of a hot cereal to start off the morning. In the cold mornings, he believed a nutritious breakfast was the best way to set yourself up for a good day.
In order to make Malt-O-Meal, follow the steps below:
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Stir in the Malt-O-Meal cereal bit by bit, ensuring that the water comes back up to boil before you add anymore.
- When you have added all of the cereal, reduce the heat until it is at a low boil.
- Cook at this temperature for 2 and a half minutes, constantly stirring the cereal as you do so.
- Serve this cereal with milk and you can even add some toppings!
You can heat it up for longer if you prefer it to be thicker.
Malt-O-Meal is a brand that comes from the MOM Brands Company, a key breakfast cereal producer in America. It has existed for over a century and has secured itself as a household name and a national comfort all over the country.
You can get 30 different variations of Malt-O-Meal with various flavors.
What Is Cream Of Wheat?
Cream of Wheat is a brand of porridge which is made from farina. The wheat that it is made from is milled until it is very fine and it creates a breakfast cereal.
Cream of Wheat is smooth, creamy and delicious and it is great when combined with milk. You can add whatever toppings you desire to the breakfast.
Cream of Wheat contains lots of important nutrients which are great in a balanced diet. You will get lots of iron, vitamin B6, niacin and many more nutrients from this breakfast cereal. To make Cream of Wheat, follow the instructions below:
- Bring your pan of water to a boil.
- Add the cream of wheat to the pan, continuously whisking to remove lumps from the porridge.
- Lower the heat once there are no lumps and simmer it for 2 minutes, allowing it to thicken.
- Take it off the heat and stir in some milk.
- Add some flavoring or your topping of choice!
Cream Of Wheat Background
Cream of Wheat came before Malt-O-Meal. It was created in North Dakota by some wheat millers. It was on the shelves in 1893 and since then it has also secured itself as a household name in America.
You can get many different flavors of this product.
One of the best sellers in recent years are the cups of porridge that you can take with you on the go.
If you have a gluten intolerance, you can try the gluten free version which replaces the farina with rice.
Malt-O-Meal Vs Cream Of Wheat
So, now we’ve covered what Malt-O-Meal and Cream of Wheat are, we can start our comparison between the two!
- Both Malt-O-Meal and Cream of Wheat are hot breakfast products.
- Both are very popular and comforting winter breakfasts in the US.
- Both are made from farina. In basic terms, they are both just two brands of farina which taste very similar and have the same purpose.
- Malt-O-Meal is slightly coarser than Cream of Wheat which makes it less smooth. Cream of Wheat is smooth in texture and never contains lumps if made correctly.
- Malt-O-Meal is more dense. This means that you will need less of the product in order to feel full and satisfied than you will of Cream of Wheat. Cream of Wheat is quite light.
- They are made of slightly different variations of farina wheat.
- Malt-O-Meal has malt in the form of malted barley in it whereas Cream of Wheat does not.
- Different additives are used in each of the brands.
What Are The Health Benefits Of Farina?
Farina has many different health benefits and it is a very good way to start the day.
Farina is rich in iron, containing up to 50 percent of an adult’s daily iron intake in one breakfast bowl! If you are a vegetarian or a vegan, or you suffer from an iron deficiency, this is a great iron substitute to boost your body’s iron!
Farina is rich in calcium which is one of the most important minerals in the body. It helps to strengthen teeth and bones and it helps to maintain a normal blood pressure. It is also essential to many other bodily functions and is essential in maintaining a healthy body.
Farina also contains many other vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B and many others.
What Are The Downsides?
Farina does have a couple of things that may cause some negative health effects. Because farina is very plain on its own, people tend to add a lot of their own ingredients to give it some flavor.
For instance, it is common to add a lot of sugar or honey to their breakfast to make it a bit more exciting.
Certain farina products have a high level of sodium. Adults have a recommended intake of sodium each day and one bowl contains up to 25 percent of this daily intake.
You can get reduced salt versions of many of these products, but they still do have high levels of sodium in them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Cream Of Wheat And Oatmeal The Same Thing?
Cream of Wheat and oatmeal are very similar but they are not the same thing. There are many differences between the two but there are also many similarities, much like the differences and similarities between Cream of Wheat and Malt-O-Meal.
What Is Farina Cereal?
Farina is a Latin word which means flour. It is made from milled wheat which uses both the endosperm and the germ. The nutrients are much more present in the germ of the wheat.
Farina cereal is a healthy and hearty breakfast which has been eaten all over America for many years. The two brands Malt-O-Meal and Cream of Wheat are simply versions of Farina cereal and they are both very successful.
Malt-O-Meal and Cream of Wheat are effectively the same thing, they are just manufactured by different brands. They are both made of farina. The main difference between these products is the texture.
Malt-O-Meal is more lumpy and Cream of Wheat is smoother and thinner. It is down to personal preference which one of these you will prefer.
Both are fantastic breakfasts and you can spice yours up a bit by adding your own ingredients too! Consider adding some fruit, chocolate or sugar. Remember, though, that on their own these products are healthy so consider what you are adding!