Those of you that have been making salad and adding mozzarella or making your own homemade pizza will know the headache of having leftover cheese.
With leftover mozzarella in your fridge, you may be wondering how long it will last before it goes bad. In this article, we are going to cover this topic and more.
But for those of you that are looking for a quick answer, we have done a summary of the answer to this question below.
If you want to learn more then make sure to continue reading this article.
How Long Will Mozzarella Stay Good?
In this section, we are going to talk about fresh mozzarella and loaves of mozzarella and how long they will stay good.
So, without further ado, let us dive right in!
Fresh mozzarella does not tend to stay fresh for long after it has been opened.
If your packet of cheese has not been opened it tends to last between three and four weeks from the manufacturing date.
The best way to store mozzarella is to keep it in your fridge or if your packet is unopened we like to keep this type of cheese on hand by storing it in the freezer.
But, if you have opened your mozzarella you can wrap it in clingfilm so that the moisture stays in the cheese.
By using this method you can be sure that your mozzarella will last between three and four days.
Another method of storage is to keep your mozzarella submerged in either water or brine.
By using this method you can be sure that your cheese will stay fresh and maintain its quality for about a week.
It is recommended that you use the liquid that is already in the package your mozzarella came with.
But if you throw out that water you can always use water with about a half teaspoon of salt in it.
which will keep your mozzarella. But, if you do that you will need to change that liquid every two days in order to keep it fresh.
If you do not open a loaf of mozzarella cheese it will likely stay fresh between two and three weeks after the best before date.
But, if you open it the cheese will only last about three weeks before it starts to spoil.
Also called a mozzarella stick, this format of this famous cheese will last you quite a bit longer than the smaller fresh packets of mozzarella.
When you have opened the packet you will need to make sure that it stays wrapped in the packaging or in clingfilm so that it retains moisture and does not dry out too quickly.
If you like to have mozzarella cheese on hand at all times you can also freeze it and it will last you for far longer than it would normally last.
When it comes to storing mozzarella sticks it is slightly easier than fresh mozzarella. This is because this format of this cheese has been more processed than fresh mozzarella. This means that it is likely to last longer as a result of the additives.
How Do You Know Mozzarella Has Gone Bad?
In this section, we are going to talk about what you need to keep an eye out for when you are trying to tell if your mozzarella cheese has gone bad. So, without further ado, let us get started!
But how do you know that mozzarella has actually gone bad? Well, there are a few tells that quite obviously indicate that your mozzarella cheese has gone bad.
Below is a short list of what you should look out for:
- Dry And Hard – If you notice that your cheese has dried out and is quite hard then you can be sure that your mozzarella has lost its moisture which means that it has gone off. Sadly, the best course of action at this point is to throw away the cheese.
- Sour Smell Or Taste – Mozzarella cheese that has gone off will have an awful sour smell and may even taste bad if you don’t smell anything. While consuming this cheese will not make you sick it won’t taste good and will be a rather unpleasant experience.
- Mold Or Distortion – An obvious sign that your cheese has gone bad is when there is a layer or speck of mold on the surface. If you notice any odd coloring or moldy-looking spots you should throw it away even if that mold is cut away.
- Color – A more subtle tell that your fresh mozzarella has gone bad will be that it changes color, So, if your mozzarella is not white or a mild yellow color then you can assume that it has gone bad and is no longer safe to eat.
When you are trying to assess whether your loaf of mozzarella is still good and usable there are a few things that you need to look out for.
Below is a short list of everything you need to know if you are trying to figure out f your loaf has gone bad or not:
- Storage Time – Sometimes mozzarella will have gone off without you even realizing it. So, if your cheese has been in the fridge for six or seven weeks it is best to assume that it has gone bad regardless of whether it looks or smells alright.
- Mold – A very obvious sign that your loaf of mozzarella has gone bad will be the presence of mold. Because loaves are bigger than fresh mozzarella tends to be, you will be able to cut out small specks of mold and eat the rest of the cheese. But if there is excessive mold it might be safer to just throw it away.
- Off Smell – Mozzarella that has gone off will have an atrocious sour and off smell which is hard to miss. So, if you are unsure whether your mozzarella loaf is good or bad, just take a whiff. You will soon be able to tell whether it is still safe to eat.
Is Bad Mozzarella Safe to Eat?
The main risk of eating mozzarella that has gone bad will be mold. This organism can contain harmful bacteria like E.
coli, Listeria, Salmonella, or Brucella. All of these bacteria can potentially cause food poisoning which will result in stomach pain, diarrhea and vomiting.
If there is no mold present and you eat mozzarella that has gone bad it will not make you sick but it will be a very unpleasant experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Type Of Cheese Is Mozzarella?
Mozzarella is a soft white Italian cheese made from cow’s milk that is usually sold in balls or thin disks. The cheese is typically cut into cubes, eaten as a snack, or used to top pizza.
Which Cheese Is Best For Pizza?
There are a lot of different cheeses that can be used for making pizza, but not all cheese is the best cheese for pizza. Some cheeses are too soft and can make a pizza soggy, while others are too hard and can be chewy.
Is Fresh Mozzarella Healthier Than Shredded?
The answer to this question depends on how you intend to use the mozzarella. Fresh mozzarella is typically made from cow’s milk, whereas shredded mozzarella is made from the product of the curdled milk that’s left after the mozzarella is made. The product is then processed into shredded cheese.
- Top Main Differences Between Tagliatelle And Fettuccine Pasta - March 10, 2023
- The Main Differences Between Red And Green Jalapeno Peppers - March 10, 2023
- Perfect Griddle Cakes To Make Simply Delicious Recipes For The Meal - March 9, 2023